Advocacy at a Glance
April 19, 2013
Advocacy at a Glance offers you the bullet point summary of current advocacy issues associated with the goals of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
- Alliance Sets FY 14 Budget Recommendation for FDA Funding. The Alliance is asking Congress to provide FDA with $2.60 billion in BA appropriations, about $40 million above the President’s FY 14 request. This would be a 4% increase for the agency over FY 12. This is discussed in more detail in this week’s Analysis and Commentary.
- Senate Appropriations Hearing for FDA was held on Thursday, April 18. Commissioner Hamburg focused her remarks (click here) on the value provided by the FDA — how a modest investment of $8 per American per year protects the public health and safety of Americans, as well as provides review and approval of medical products. For more on her appearance please click here.
- House Appropriations Hearing for FDA will be Friday, April 26. For more information on the hearing please click here.
- Alliance Quarterly Membership Meeting, Tuesday, April 30 at 2:00 p.m. The Alliance’s next quarterly membership meeting will occur on Tuesday, April 30th at 2:00 p.m.
- Freshman/Sophomore FDA Advocacy Week, May 1 and May 2 — Please Participate. The Alliance is planning a series of meetings with the staff of Freshman and Sophomore members of Congress on May 1st, May 2nd (during a recess week). Our focus is providing staffers with consumer, patient and industry perspectives on the critical importance of FDA. Alliance Members and other interested parties are encouraged to participate in the meetings. If you plan on participating in the meetings and have not responded, please e-mail Tony Curry. Additional details regarding the meetings will be provided in the near-term.