Advocacy at a Glance
April 26, 2013
Advocacy at a Glance offers you the bullet point summary of current advocacy issues associated with the goals of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
- FDA Budget Panel Discussion Followed by the Alliance Quarterly Membership Meeting, Tuesday, April 30 at 2:00 p.m. On Tuesday, April 30th at 2:00 p.m. the Alliance is pleased to be holding a FDA Budget Panel Discussion With FDA Chief Operating Officer Walter Harris and FDA Chief Financial Officer Jay Tyler, moderated by Alliance President Diane Dorman. The Alliance’s quarterly membership meeting will occur immediately after the panel discussion.
- Freshman/Sophomore FDA Hill Meetings, May 1 and May 2 — Please Participate. The Alliance is holding a series of meetings with the staff of Freshman and Sophomore members of Congress on May 1st and May 2nd (during a recess week). Our focus is providing staffers with consumer, patient and industry perspectives on the critical importance of FDA. Alliance Members and other interested parties are encouraged to participate in the meetings. If you plan on participating in the meetings and have not let us know, please e-mail Tony Curry.
- Participant Conference Call on Monday, April 29th at 5:00 p.m.: Call-In: 800-705-9024; 4165095. There will be a conference call for those participating in the Freshman/Sophomore Hill meetings (see above). The call is on Monday, April 29th at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time to discuss meeting details, including talking points, basic messaging and logistics issues. Call-In: 800-705-9024; 4165095.
- Alliance Written Testimony to Senate Appropriations Committee. The Alliance for a Stronger FDA submitted written testimony to the Senate Subcommittee on Agriculture and FDA Appropriations. It incorporates our FY 14 “ask” of $2.60 billion in budget authority appropriations.
- Commissioner Hamburg’s testimony to House and Senate Appropriations Committees. The Commissioner testifies today (April 26 at 10:30 a.m.) before the House Appropriations Committee’s Agriculture/FDA subcommittee. We will have more details on her testimony next week. Meantime, a link to a webcast of the hearing can be found here. Commissioner Hamburg testified last week to the Senate committee. Her testimony and other details can be viewed here. A particularly insightful news story about her testimony appeared on FDA Webview.
- Commissioner Hamburg Expresses Resource Concerns in Speech to Food and Drug Law Institute. “However you look at it, there is no question that having adequate resources for our public health mission remains a constant concern. And despite having received much welcomed plus-ups in our budget over these past 4 years, I remain enormously troubled that FDA’s responsibilities continue to outstrip available resources. This should worry us all … and it is something that I believe we must all continue to work on together.”