Advocacy at a Glance
July 26, 2013
Advocacy at a Glance offers you the bullet point summary of current advocacy issues associated with the goals of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
- FDA-Regulated Industries are a Backbone of the U.S. Economy. There is a new Battelle report, sponsored by PhRMA, that focuses specifically on “The Economic Impact of the U.S. Biopharmaceutical Industry.” This is consistent with the Alliance’s 2011 White Paper on the topic, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration: A Cornerstone of America’s Economic Future. One of the important messages the Alliance delivers to Congress and the media is that funding FDA is a critical part of sustaining and growing the U.S. economy.
- AdvaMed, BIO and PhRMA Praise Appropriations Committee Report Language Urging OMB to Exclude User Fees from Sequestration. The three big medical product trade associations have written (see letter attached) to the House and Senate appropriations committees to praise report language, contained in both bills, that supports excluding user fees from sequester. While not binding on OMB, the report language is visible evidence that Congress does not want user fees sequestered either in FY 13 (already done) or in FY 14 (which is possible).
- Questionable Report that Regulatory Agencies are Not Impacted by the Sequester. In today’s Analysis and Commentary, Steven Grossman calls into question a widely circulated report that asserts regulatory agency’s are not impacted by the sequester.
- Join us on August 15 to Meet Key Leaders of FDA’s International Programs. The Alliance is pleased that Lou Valdez, head of international programs, Altaf Lal, head of FDA’s India Office, and Chris Hickey, head of FDA’s China Office, will provide a presentation on FDA’s priorities in India and China. Lou and Altaf will join us in person, and we will video-stream Chris in from China. Alliance members should join us for what promises to be a very interested event. The program will start at 9:00 a.m. on August 15, and we will have a short, informal, reception afterwards.
- Join Us Via Phone on July 30 at 2:00 pm for a Brief Update on the Status of the Appropriations Process. Rather than our regular in-person quarterly members’ meeting, we will be convening a phone call to briefly summarize the status of the FY14 funding process. Check your e-mail or contact Tony Curry for call-in details if necessary.