Advocacy at a Glance
February 28, 2014
Advocacy at a Glance offers you the bullet point summary of current advocacy issues associated with the goals of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
- President’s Budget Request is Next Week. The President is expected to release his budget request next week. The Alliance will provide its analysis of FDA numbers as soon as they are available. Please keep in mind that the first FDA numbers released by the Administration typically contain unauthorized user fee proposals. The Alliance typically takes these numbers out of our analysis, as these proposals are only real after authorizing committees approve them. So, don’t necessarily believe the first numbers you see!
- Have you signed up for FDA Funding Lobby Day? Please keep in mind that March 19th is coming closer, and we need your help! Last year we had 60 people participate — we’d like to get that to 75. Please set aside the day, and join us in spreading the important message of FDA funding. We would be thrilled to have more than one person from each organization — so bring a colleague. Please e-mail Tony Curry to let him know if you can participate.
- Opportunity to Submit Written Testimony in the Senate, due April 4. The Senate Appropriations Committee’s agriculture/FDA subcommittee has now provided its guidelines for submissions, and testimony is due no later than April 4. As reported last week, the House Appropriations Committee’s agriculture/FDA subcommittee will be accepting written testimony on FY 15 appropriations until March 20. Directions for preparation and submission of testimony can be found on-line. Note that both the Senate and House subcommittees have strict 5-page limits on submissions.
- House Members Need to Submit Appropriations Requests by March 31. The House Ag appropriations subcommittee has notified House members that requests for program funding and report language for the FY 15 agriculture/FDA appropriations bill are due by March 31. Note that each individual congressional office will set their own separate deadline in advance of this date to determine what requests to make to the subcommittee. Chairman Aderholt’s letter is available on-line.
- Senate HELP Committee Tentatively Schedules FDA Oversight Hearing for March 13. Although not yet officially announced, the Senate HELP committee is planning an oversight hearing on FDASIA implementation, sequestered user fees, and related topics. We understand that the FDA Commissioner is scheduled to testify, and that this hearing has the potential to cover virtually any aspect of FDA regulation. The tentative date is March 13.
- Looking Ahead, Federal Budget Ceilings Still a Concern for FDA and other Public Health Agencies. On February 24, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel announced the military’s plans for FY 15, a preview of the President’s budget request. In this week’s Analysis and Commentary, we look at the implications for FDA’s budget and those of other non-defense agencies.