Advocacy at a Glance
May 23, 2014
Advocacy at a Glance offers you the bullet point summary of current advocacy issues associated with the goals of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
- House Action Now Started, Continues Next Week. On May 20, the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture/FDA marked up its FY 15 funding bill. The action is expected to continue with a full committee mark-up on May 28 and possible floor consideration in June. The subcommittee released a bill summary and a bill text. However, the committee report, with many of the important details, is not expected to be available until after the committee mark-up. The Alliance issued a media release on the House mark-up earlier this week.
- Senate Completes Committee Action in Same Week. On May 20, the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture/FDA marked up its FY 15 funding bill. Full committee mark-up followed on May 22. The committee released a bill summary. The committee report is also available (click here). FDA’s appropriation and related items are on pages 96 to 107. Based on remarks made by Appropriations Committee Chair Barbara Mikulski, it seems likely that the bill will reach the Senate floor during June.
- Senate Proposes Slightly Higher FY 15 FDA Funding Level than House. In the aggregate, compared to an FY 14 base of $2.561 billion (including buildings and facilities):
- The Administration is at +$23 million ($2.584 billion)
- The House is at +$22 million ($2.583 billion)
- The Senate is at +$36 million ($2.597 billion)