Advocacy at a Glance
Advocacy at a Glance offers you the bullet point summary of current advocacy issues associated with the goals of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
Senate Appropriations Subcommittee Hearing on FDA’s FY 2013 Budget Held Last Thursday
- Commissioner Hamburg thanked the legislators for their support in funding FDA as the agency faces increased scope and challenges. She outlined a number of successes that agency had in FY 2011, including approval of 35 new drugs, the second highest number of approvals in the last decade, and 15 approvals to date for FY 2012. In addition, Commissioner Hamburg discussed how FDA has been able to prevent many drug shortages and working hard to reduce the approval period for new drugs and biologics.
- Commissioner Hamburg discussed the growing responsibilities FDA faces including globalization and the dramatic increase in the volume and complexity of FDA’s regulated products.
- In his opening statement, Chairman Kohl pointed out that this is the first year since 2008 that the Administration’s proposal does not contain significant funding increases for FDA, but also noted that FDA was not proposed to be cut, as many other agencies were. “This will certainly prove to be the most difficult year in recent history,” Senator Kohl said. “The importance of FDA’s work has not diminished, and the agency’s workload continues to increase.”
- Ranking Member Senator Blunt highlighted the important role FDA plays in protecting the public health and emphasized the need for FDA to provide industries with clear and transparent regulatory frameworks.
Senate Mark Up for Agriculture/FDA Possible in Near-Term
- We have received indications that the full committee mark-up for Agriculture/FDA could occur as early as next Thursday, April 26th.
FDA Commissioner Hamburg to Address Alliance at Full Membership Meeting on Tuesday, May 8 at 2:00 p.m.
- The Alliance is pleased to announce that FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg will address the Alliance at the next Full Membership meeting, which will occur on Tuesday, May 8 at 2:00 pm.